Tuesday, January 31, 2006

February 1, 2006 Royal Proclamation


Royal proclamation on Wednesday morning NepalNews ..... His Majesty King Gyanendra is to address the nation at 9 a. m. on Wednesday (Feb. 1), an official announcement said....... His Majesty is addressing the nation upon the completion of the first year of his direct rule....... There are reports of hundreds of arrests across the country today as the opposition parties and rights groups plan to observe Wednesday as a “Black Day.”....... Through a royal proclamation in the morning of February 1, last year, King Gyanendra had dismissed a coalition government led by Sher Bahadur Deuba, jailed hundreds of activists across the country, state of emergency was declared and harsh press censorship was introduced....... Though the state of emergency was lifted after three months, critics say civil liberties and press freedom are still curtailed....... Authorities don’t agree. They say Nepali media is one of the freest in the world and certain restrictions on the civil liberties are only temporary in nature

Beloved Countrymen.

I come back here on the idiot screen a year later, to the clock, to apprise you of the progress made on my watch. Foreigners were warning me of a failed state. That really hurt my pride. I am a grand-grand-grand-grandson of none other than Prithvi, you know. So I organized a coup and let the dogs out. The rest, as they say, is history. If you don't know already, I am here to tell you, thousands of Maoists have been captured or killed, some say 4,000, some say 7,000, but those are just numbers. Some foreigners claim most of them were not even Maoists. What do those foreigners know? Besides, it is my word versus theirs, and they are all dead. I mean the Maoists, not the foreigners. The foreigners may bark all they want. I will do what I intend to do. You, my countrymen, have heard of my roadmap. Them foreigners have not. The so-called political parties of Nepal have not either. That is why you will read in my newspapers that they are called anti-national. It seems to me they listen to them foreigners more than to me. Is that not anti-national? You tell me.

You kill a few Maoists, you arrest a few so-called leaders, and suddenly the country is breathing easy. Their pain is a small price for the country to pay. These have been acts of love on my part. I love my country, and I know you do too, and I know you love me. When I am out on my visits, you offer me flowers.

When I was growing up, I once read in democracies they have elections. I never forgot that lesson. Contrary to the opinion in some circles, I am pretty smart, you know. I remember. So I have professed to organize not one but two elections. I have also provided security. Most of the candidates are in protective custody. But these political parties have decided to boycott elections. Now you tell me, who is democratic? Me, who is organizing elections, or the parties that are boycotting the same? The truth is self-evident, and it is out there for all to see.

Maoism is a defunct, archaic ideology. Don't get me wrong, Mao was a great guy, and I have to say that on record, because I like to play the China card, you know. Some people say so is the monarchy. That simply is not true. I have reinvented the monarchy on my watch. Monarchy as you now know it is only a few years old. It is a toddler. I intend to nurture it, to grow it. This is cutting edge stuff I am offering. In this monarchy, there is freedom of speech, as long as they don't really push it to the point that I feel uncomfortable. There is political freedom, not for the shallow leaders, but for the people. A few loudmouths do not make a democracy. Who should I worry about, 200 so-called leaders, or 27 million people? You tell me.

Some of you might have heard I went to Africa. If they are going to make me feel unwelcome in Europe and America, where do you think I am going to go? This is one big world. So I went to Africa, and I met a guy who has been in power for 27 years running. He instantly became my role model. As soon as I came back to Nepal, I sent him a birthday card. "We should stay in touch," I said.

I am going to stick to my roadmap. Those who oppose my roadmap, what really are their options? You think Saddam got scared when the world imposed economic sanctions? No. He was and is a resolute man. He let the children die and blamed it all on the western powers. So don't test my resolve. Know your place in the scheme of things. I know mine. I am born to rule.

I want the people in Nepal to be able to eat two square meals a day, and sleep at night in peace. I have said that time and again. My intentions are crystal clear. Once we take care of the political parties, I am going to focus on the economy. Just you wait.

Just between you and me, you know what I think? These people, they are plain jealous. They see my expensive cars, and my helicopters, and my lifestyle, my palace, and they don't like it. That is where their democracy comes in. Theirs is a democracy without elections. Tell that to Thomas Jefferson.

People used to say the Maoists are about to take over. But look at what happened. After my coup last year, noone ever heard of Prachanda or Baburam. They probably fled the country, if they were ever inside. All my key advisors think they live in India under Indian protection, but I am an open minded man. I think they could be in Bangladesh, in Bhutan, they could be anywhere. They could even be in South India.

The roads are cleaner now, you must have noticed. Who did that? I did that. It was not Girija or MaKuNe. MaKuNe? That is a funny name. Who could have thought? I heard somewhere that MaKuNe hopes to become president and live in the Narayanhiti. (Gives out a Gabbar Singh laughter)

Now where is he, and where am I?

All sorts of people come to visit me. People from the UN, India, Europe, top US people. I receive faxes. Bush himself wrote to me. Who says the coup is not working? It is working for me. I never received so much attention before in my life.

Last but not least, my fellow countrymen, don't worry, be happy. Be thankful I am in charge.

May Lord Pashupatinath bless you all. He sure has blessed me.

In The News

Royal proclamation on Wednesday morning NepalNews
Rights groups call upon King Gyanendra to repeal Feb 1 proclamation
Nepal risks political collapse: ICG
US troubled by developments in Nepal
OHCHR Nepal renews its call to CPN (Maoist) not to target civilians
Hundreds of seven-party activists arrested nationwide
Over two dozen pro-democracy activists arrested in Kathmandu
Free and fair election is not possible: Opinion poll
HM publicizes reports
Certificates issued to elected candidates

US sends top general to talk with Gyanendra NewKerala.com, India
Nepalese immigrants in India protests against crackdown by King ... Webindia123
Nepal on violent cusp of change before vote International Herald Tribune
Nepal, in a Climate of Contradictions, Prepares to Vote New York Times
Boycott King Gyanendra’s administration Asian Centre for Human Rights, India
500 candidates withdraw nominations amidst Maoist threat Outlook (subscription)
Nepal gives protection to poll candidates
Hindu, India
Over 600 candidates withdraw from Nepal polls Times of India
India's options in Nepal Daily Pioneer
Koirala rules out talks with King Gyanendra
Hindu, India
Koirala rules out possibilities of talks with King Gyanendra
Webindia123, India
Nepali King to address nation Wednesday
Xinhua, China
Top student leader arrested, media raided ahead of protests Deccan Herald
A year after power grab, Nepal slides deeper into crisis
INQ7.net, Philippines
As Nepal economy weakens, one export grows: people
Gulf Times, Qatar
NEPAL: FNJ, NBA to observe Feb 1 as 'black day'
Asia Pacific Media Network, CA

मेयरका उम्मेदवारमाथि गोली प्रहार Kantipur Publications
पत्रिकाको कार्यालयमा रेड
सिंहलाई ४५ लाख
त्रिविको निर्णय अवज्ञा गर्दै पठनपाठन
१२७३ उम्मेदवार निर्विरोध
हुम्लामा दलहरूको आमसभा
राज्यकोषमा मनपरी
जनआन्दोलनको कार्यदिशा
'के सोचेँ मैले, के भयो अहिले !'
सरकारलाई मन पर्दैन एफएम
युद्धमोर्चामा परिणत सहर
Capital candidates holed up in APF barracks
Rana stresses reconcilation
Open letter to LK Advani
माओवादीसित बातचित भइरहेको छ: वामदेव गौतम
सहरी विद्रोहको चालबाजी
ओरालोमा अर्थतन्त्र
'माघ १९' को पासोमा राप्रपा
नेपालगन्ज आक्रमण: फोटो-फिचर
अचानोमा जनता

Visitors

31 January09:45Harvard University, Cambridge, United States
31 January09:48Harvard University, Cambridge, United States
31 January09:51United States (dickinson.edu)
31 January09:51Harvard University, Cambridge, United States
31 January09:53United States (dickinson.edu)
31 January09:54United States (dickinson.edu)
31 January09:59University of North Texas, Denton, United States
31 January10:00Saudi Arabia Backbone, Saudi Arabia
31 January10:00Saudi Arabia Backbone, Saudi Arabia
31 January10:29Wanadoo France, Puteaux, France
31 January10:30Geisinger Medical Center, United States


31 January10:41Michigan State University, United States
31 January11:13United States (loralorion.com)
31 January11:21University of Missouri, Columbia, United States
31 January11:23Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, United States
31 January11:2588.144.27.x
31 January11:26Hampden-Sydney College, United States
31 January11:55The World Bank Group, Washington, D.C., United States
31 January12:18The World Bank Group, Washington, D.C., United States


31 January12:27Arcor Internet-Produkte, Germany
31 January12:34Maroc Telecom, Morocco
31 January12:38Samara State Economic Academy, Russia

Democracy Now! | Headlines for February 1, 2005
Nepal: A country silenced
The Hindu : Front Page News : Wednesday, February 02, 2005
Restore Press Rights and Freedom of Speech in Nepal Petition
King Gyanendra & Henry VIII
Nepal Insurgency- 2005
Gyanendra News - The New York Times
all4all.org | Nepal: Martial Law Declared
Project Page
Nepal: Security Forces 'Disappear' Hundreds of Civilians (Human ...

No comments: