Monday, December 05, 2005

Umesh, Turn It Into A Business


Umesh.

Your first video clip of the December 2 rally has been a big hit. How do I know? Last night I tried to access it, and Google had temporarily reduced the 6 minutes, 14 seconds clip into a 30 seconds clip. They do that to video clips that get viewed too many times. That is them getting thrifty on bandwidth. So, bud, you are rocking the boat. Feel good about it.

Fervent discussions are on at the Nepal Democracy group. Several great projects have been identified.
  • Video blog the movement to the tune of 100 plus hours. First Clip.
  • Medical care for peaceful demonstrators.
  • Legal action at the national and international levels against those that might violate the human rights of the demonstrators.
  • Propaganda work.
I would like to suggest something new for the first listed project. Why don't we turn it into a for profit business model for you? As in, how would you like to be able to quit your job and do this full time? The seed money from our end would be a donation, not a loan. You get to keep it. But you turn it into a business fast.

Do you have the option to take a one month long leave of absence from your job? If you do, take it. Acquire broadband if you don't already have one. You will receive help for that from this end. I know you have about 40 minutes worth of video clips from December 2. Upload them all as soon as possible. And "hire" KP Dhungana. He uses your equipment to do all the political interviews, starting with the one I have suggested: 7 leaders, 7 questions. His first few weeks he only gets money for basic expenses. He gets back pay later. Upload those videos as well. Fast. Speed is key. I will stay in touch and keep suggesting project ideas. I will do it all for free.

So how is the money made? I propose a one cent a minute plan to the nearest 10 cent mark.

So for that first 6 minute clip, you would have charged 10 cents per view. For a 100 minute clip, it would be a dollar. But leave that first one free. That is a free sample.

Google Video gives you that option. You can charge per view. They will keep a small cut of it, and give the rest of the money to you. I am strongly considering doing something similar for my blog on American politics. It would be like becoming a talk show host, only I will be doing all the talking. 10 cents per clip, for a standard near 9 minutes clip. We could compare notes along the way.

If we could switch gears like this, the advantage for me would be this aspect of the movement would be off my shoulders. I would have totally delegated. So I can focus more fully on some of the other projects. The network will still be very involved in providing you with protection, should such be needed at any point in time. Otherwise you will function like a small media house of your own.

I would hope you would have competition locally! I desire both quantity and quality.

But you sure will have the first mover advantage. That really helps.

Diaspora Logistical Help To The Movement
Nepali Bloggers At The Forefront Of The Movement
Audio Video
Logistics To Bring Down The Regime
Dinesh Wagle, 7 Leaders, 27 Questions
Movement Taken To Online Video

Money is a good thing. This movement is for political liberation, but it is also a movement for wealth creation. Trust me on this one.

What say you?

This thing could really expand. You could end up the first Nepali media house catering to the Nepali diaspora exclusively. The business could really pick momentum right away. I know there is this deep hunger at this end for video clips like yours.

For that first 6 minute clip, what if it were 10 cents per view, and 1000 Nepalis viewed it? That would have been a clean 100 dollars. Would that have been enough money for you to think you just made a one month salary? For a day or two of work? Is that cool or what?

I think the idea is so good you could rapidly expand your operations with the money you yourself make.

What if you made 10 such wonderful clips, and each made you $100 only. That would be $1000 made. At that point you could pay for your own broadband, buy a few more batteries and memory cards, hire a few people. The business would really take off.

You could be really expanding and fast.

What if the regime comes down before the New Year? I think that is very likely. I want a quickie movement, I don't want a slow bleeding one. Some career politicians are out there talking in terms of foiling the February 8 polls. That would be too late. The regime has to fall before that.

This regime gave us February 1. We should give it January 1.

Your business would still be valid after the movement succeeds. It will still be valid throughout the peace process and even after the coutry gets a new constitution and there is full fledged democracy. It would be a new media entity.

Let me know.

More important, get down to work!

In The News

End social exclusion to restore peace: Experts NepalNews
China now plays global card: Khetan
Raj Parishad regional meet on Dec 25-27
Regional Administrator summons journo
King a Hurdle in Peace Process: Nepal Himalayan Times, Nepal
Democracy may save the king Hindustan Times
Pro-Maoist Students Close Nearly Dozen Schools in Central Nepal ... NewsLine Nepal, Nepal
Nepal prince furious at being stoned, cops suspended NewKerala.com, India



Hello folks. Please take a minute or two to express solidarity to Umesh
over email. Thanks.

To: Salokya ...@gmail.com>
Cc: Gagan Thapa ...@yahoo.com>, Dinesh Prasain
...@gmail.com>, Sarahana Shrestha ...@samudaya.org>,
KP Dhungana ...@gmail.com>, Madhav Nepal
...@gmail.com>,
Subject: URGENT ----- Re: Umesh, Turn It Into A Business

Umesh. Protection is the number one issue. I'd rather you stop video
blogging than feel unsafe. But you do not have to feel unsafe.

Gagan, Dinesh. Please help with this part. Umesh, you must know Gagan
Thapa. Dinesh Prasain is with COCAP. And http://www.insn.org/ Btw,
INSN linked to your video clip.

Also get in touch with Madhavji.

Madhavji, it is very important for the movement to protect Umesh and
other video bloggers. Please get him in touch with some of your party
cadres, some student leaders.

Umesh. Pass on all the threat emails. Also there are ways to track down
the computer from which the email was generated. We can look into that.
If the punishment can not be meted out now, it will be after the
democratic government comes into power, which will be before the New
Year. Make sure you document everything.

For now, increase your visibility.

Puru Subedi: "Paramedra ji already produced one outcome with some money
he received and forwarded to Nepal as a donation. I am glad that Umesh
ji was able to bring that video to us. It is being shown almost every
Nepali household that I have gone in the DC area this weekend."

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-8008922312335507894
This got him fired. This got him receiving threatening emails.

--- Salokya ...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Good Idea ! to "sell" video blogs !
> but I have lack of equipment. What I am using is small 3.1 megapixel
> camera
> made in khasha and that I can not give to anyone cause it should be
> handle
> with care as you know how is "khasa product"
> I have been sacked from my job......no reason given....but some
> suspects its
> because of my blog...
> च्यानल नेपालषो मेरो जाà¤-िर
> "चट"<http://merosansar.blogsome.com/2005/10/19/channel-nepal-fired-me/>
> http://merosansar.blogsome.com/2005/10/19/channel-nepal-fired-me/>
> मैले à¤...वषाश पत्र
> बुझेँ<http://merosansar.blogsome.com/2005/10/20/fired-letter/>
> http://merosansar.blogsome.com/2005/10/20/fired-letter/>
> They have not paid me my remaining salary.
> Yes I need broadband badly. Currently I am using night surfing
> package
> (830pm to 830 am) which is not enough.
> I am receiving kind of threat mails also. So please be there to
> protect me
> if anything goes wrong.

No comments: