Saturday, September 24, 2005

Gagan Thapa US Tour


I am assuming Gagan is safely in the US now. So this blog entry is back up now by popular demand! Although, folks, I felt all along we might have been a little on the paranoid side.

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 17:31:13 -0500
From: "Charlie Szrom"
To: "Paramendra Kumar Bhagat"
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Re: the gagan blog entry taken down for a few days

Paramendra,

We do have some chapters in the Bay Area, but the leader of the Standford one is currently working abroad and the leader of the UC-Berkeley one is currently too busy with writing his thesis for SGD activities.

I'll keep you informed if anyone else is interested.

-Charlie

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 18:15:34 -0400
From: _________
To: "Paramendra Kumar Bhagat"
Subject: Re: Please be in touch with Gagan Thapa while he visits the US

Hi Paramendra,

Yes, I understand why it was pulled down - especially since Gagan has a court date soon - what if they slap some prison time on him, to keep him out of the US?

No, I wasn't in New York City due to prior committments. I was really sad to miss it, but then I got to hear a lot of audio in producing the radio segment about it:

http://insn.org/?p=1943

I want to produce segments on Gagan's visit, that could be aired on some wide-reaching shows. Have a friend who works with The World, a BBC production in the US that reaches 2,000,000 people. Would be good to get a 5 minute segment on there.

________

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 14:04:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Paramendra Kumar Bhagat"
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re: Re: the gagan blog entry taken down for a few days
To: "Charlie Szrom" , robertmayer@gmail.com, _____
CC: "Gagan Thapa"

Hi Robert. ____ is in Boston. He is working on the details for Gagan there. It would be nice if SGD could get involved. Would give us a firm base to keep working and expanding on other work as well.

Gagan. Charlie Szrom is like the American Gagan or something. He and his organization are amazing. Hope you get to meet some of Charlie's colleagues and friends in Boston.

Charlie. I thought you also had some chapters in the Bay Are. No?

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 15:55:08 -0500
From: "Charlie Szrom"
To: paramendra@yahoo.com
Subject: Fwd: Re: Re: the gagan blog entry taken down for a few days

Paramendra,

Our Boston guy is willing to work with Gagan, why don't you email him and see what can be done?

-Charlie

----- Forwarded message from Robert Mayer -----
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 15:33:22 -0400
From: Robert Mayer
Reply-To: Robert Mayer
Subject: Re: Re: the gagan blog entry taken down for a few days
To: Charlie Szrom

Sounds good, I'm in Boston, so send him my way.

On 9/20/05, Charlie Szrom wrote:

> > Hey guys,

> > This message is from one of the top Nepali democracy bloggers; Paramendra > is > also wants to start fundraising under the umbrella of SGD for Nepal (that > is, > not taking away any current fundraising commitments from SGD but rather > adding > new resources).

> > In any case, according to him this Gagan is one of the top Nepali youth > democrats. So if you guys are interested in hosting him (although that may > or > may not be possible), or in publicizing or just attending one of his > events as > he travels throughout the country, please email me and I'll put you in > touch > with Paramendra. Also, if you know anyone near those spots (listed below) > please get in touch with them. It could be a great opportunity to see a > top > youth democrat leader from an authoritarian country that is currently > undergoing much turmoil.

> > What do you guys think?

> > -Charlie

> > ----- Forwarded message from Paramendra Kumar Bhagat

> --- > -- > Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:46:24 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Paramendra Kumar Bhagat
> Reply-To: Paramendra Kumar Bhagat
> Subject: Re: the gagan blog entry taken down for a few days
> To: Charlie Szrom

> > Gagan is the most well known young Nepali democrat. He is a student > leader.

> > If you have SGD branches in any of these listed cities, it might be a > great idea to try and do some events together. Already there are Nepali > democrats in each of those town working on events. But maybe there can > be co-events.

> > I will write more fully about him at my blog after he is safely in the > US. Can't do it before that, since I might jeopardize his safety before > he leaves the country.

> > > > > > > 23 Sep Arrival in Washington DC
> > > Sep 23- 30, Washington
> > > Oct 1- Oct4, Boston
> > > Oct5- Oct8, Atlanta
> > > Oct9- Oct11, North Field
> > > Oct 12- Oct 15, San Francisco
> > > Oct 16-Oct 20, Texas
> > > Oct 21 Oct 23, NY

> > > http://www.paramendra.com
> http://www.swapn.biz

> > ----- End forwarded message -----

> > > -- http://www.publiuspundit.com

----- End forwarded message -----

HTML Attachment [ Download File | Save to Yahoo! Briefcase ]
Sounds good, I'm in Boston, so send him my way.

On 9/20/05, Charlie Szrom wrote:

Hey guys,

This message is from one of the top Nepali democracy bloggers; Paramendra is also wants to start fundraising under the umbrella of SGD for Nepal (that is, not taking away any current fundraising commitments from SGD but rather adding new resources).

In any case, according to him this Gagan is one of the top Nepali youth democrats. So if you guys are interested in hosting him (although that may or may not be possible), or in publicizing or just attending one of his events as he travels throughout the country, please email me and I'll put you in touch with Paramendra. Also, if you know anyone near those spots (listed below) please get in touch with them. It could be a great opportunity to see a top youth democrat leader from an authoritarian country that is currently undergoing much turmoil.

What do you guys think?

-Charlie

----- Forwarded message from Paramendra Kumar Bhagat --- --

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:46:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: Paramendra Kumar Bhagat <>
Reply-To: Paramendra Kumar Bhagat
Subject: Re: the gagan blog entry taken down for a few days
To: Charlie Szrom

Gagan is the most well known young Nepali democrat. He is a student leader.

If you have SGD branches in any of these listed cities, it might be a great idea to try and do some events together. Already there are Nepali democrats in each of those town working on events. But maybe there can be co-events.

I will write more fully about him at my blog after he is safely in the US. Can't do it before that, since I might jeopardize his safety before he leaves the country.

> > > > 23 Sep Arrival in Washington DC
> > Sep 23- 30, Washington
> > Oct 1- Oct4, Boston
> > Oct5- Oct8, Atlanta
> > Oct9- Oct11, North Field
> > Oct 12- Oct 15, San Francisco
> > Oct 16-Oct 20, Texas
> > Oct 21 Oct 23, NY

Subject: FW: I am coming on Sept 23
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 16:51:28 -0400
From: ___________
To: __________

Here is _______ speaking from Berkeley about Gagan's trip. Cheers! Gagan's brief resume is needed.

_________

-----Original Message-----
From: __________
Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 4:37 PM
To: ___________
Subject: Re: I am coming on Sept 23

__________ and Collegues:

I am on board now!

Sorry for being silent for some time. Hats off to all of you for doing such a wonderful work. I was in Nepal for three months. Wondered around villages in Kaski, had a chat with deprived women and men (mostly, unequal with infection...), things are very different outside Kathmandu. Any way we can talk in length.

My number is __________

You all are right! We should maximize Gagan's visit. I will try to organize one program in Berkeley, either through department or if that did not work out through our organization (but in Berkeley campus) and would let you know all asap. In the mean if anyone can send me his bio that will be of much help.

________

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:24:24 -0400 ____________ wrote:

_______,

> I don't know how silent you have been. This is not good man, we are > having discussions and we miss you a lot. Let us be in loop even though > it is 3 hrs difference. We can workout for weekends. Give us your > contact number.

________

> > -----Original Message-----
>From: _________
> Sent: Tuesday, September 20, 2005 8:59 AM
> To: _______
> Cc: _______
> Subject: Fwd: I am coming on Sept 23

> > Hi ______:

> Long time no see! What's going on in the West Coast! Seems you forgot > the easterners! Nobody has your tel number, no one gets call etc.. > Hope you two (may be three! who knows) are safe and sound with great > spirit.

> > You must be aware of the leadership of ________. (You won't be > surprised if he decides to contest NY Governor in future!). And you > should know how Dr. Fatte is being the nucleus of political movement. > If I could be able to create some interest, then, hope you will be > touch ASAP!

> > We need to use Gagan's visit as maximum as we can. One program at > Berkeley would be excellent.

> > Be in touch. My number is _________ (home) and _________ (school).

> _______

> > > ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>From: gagan thapa
> Date: Sep 19, 2005 10:31 AM
> Subject: I am comin on Sept 23
> To: __________
> Cc: somu13@hotmail.com

> > > Dear comrades,

> >Finally my visit to USA has been confirmed. I have been invited by > state department under international visitors program. This is > basically a regional student conference. But i would like to use this > visit to extend support for ongoing democratic movement. I need your > suggestions and contact numbers of friends staying there.

> > The program schedule is

> > Sep 23- 30, Washington
> Oct 1- Oct4, Boston
> Oct5- Oct8, Atlanta
> Oct9- Oct11,North Field
> Oct 12- Oct 15,San Francisco
> Oct 16-Oct 20, Texas
> Oct 21 Oct 23, NY

> > Hope to meet my comrades there.

> > Gagan Thapa

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 14:07:59 -0400
From: _________
To: __________
CC: __________
Subject: Re: Washington DC and Duke U

Thanks ______. I'll try to coordinate Gagan's free time in DC. It'd be great if you could all send DC folks my way so we can have a discussion about what we would like him to do/what he would like to get out of all this...It seems to me that we need to be strategic about his time...here in DC and elsewhere. Daschle's office has gotten plenty from us at FreeNepal for example, partly due to a contact of mine with his speech writer. We sent him, for example, a whole page on Gagan and the students' struggle. And Daschle has been outspoken about Nepal...so since we don't have much time, maybe we should be focusing on a few new souls that can could potentially make a difference.

Subject: RE: Lets Go, Then !!
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:35:11 -0400
From: _________
To: _________

I am trying to work with Emory for Gagan to talk through Asian Studies Center, following is the message I got.

Thanks ______. I would my faculty about this possibility but the dates conflict with 3 other programs already in place in cooperation with AID and SA4U, 2 Atlanta community organizations. Please do, continue to let us know about these posisbilities since we would like very much to organize such an event witha little more advance notice. My very best wishes to you and yours,

We are trying to work for him in Berkeley and talked for Dallas, too. He should meet Nepalese here even in the evening if he does not have time. These groups would be his asset in future to lead Nepal. So I would like him to make good contact with Nepalese too. I will inform more once I get detail from West Coast and Dallas.

_________

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:28:04 -0400
From: _________
To: ________
CC: ________
Subject: Re: Lets Go, Then !!

Hi all! Wow. One think to really look forward to! And yes, what's up the the state department and Gagan's visit? The U.S. has some serious balls!

My impression after talking to Gagan was that he would be super busy indeed. I'm sure he would have most of his week days booked�at least in Washington DC. For those in Washington, please send me an email to _________ so we can 'arrange' his free time more effectively.

_____ and I are discussing the possibility of �officially� launching the student rights campaign while he is here. Mendi thinks we should get our profiles ready, a document (which I could put together drawing from our charts and the UN document), and a venue we could do it at my work (Institute for Policy Studies). Now we don�t have time to get people to a possible event or to conduct outreach of any sort. We also don�t have enough information from the ground to get student profiles ready in time--unless some sort of miracle happens. Despite that, we could have a small gathering, take some pictures and actually launch the campaign. The bigger problem is this, I'm not sure the campaign is sustainable over time�Most of you said that you would be willing to stay connected with the campaign but that couldn't take a bigger responsibility, i.e. be in charge of a particular aspect of the campaign. Since we all have full time jobs or go to school, I'm afraid we might not be able to pull things together AFTER we launch the campaign. We do not have a set strategy either what are we aiming at Lobbying in Washington Working with student groups? Educating, if so, whom Who would do what?

I'd love to get your thoughts on this.

Also, so you know, I'm trying to get Gagan to be in Washington DC, perhaps on his way back, on the 19 of October right now he is supposed to be in Texas that day but who knows what the final itinerary would be like. I'm in charge of a human rights award event though IPS that day. We are expecting 500-600 human rights activists, academics, human rights lawyers, judges, donors and funders, and at least 10 members of congress who aleady agreed to be a part of our host committee. So I can arrange for the emcee to acknowledge Gagan's presence at the event and talk about the plight of Nepali students for a few seconds. Then Gagan could meet these people and the members of congress including Senators Harkin, Boxer, and Kennedy who have done pretty impressive stuff in other conflict situations before. So it'd be a good day for Gagan to be in DC. I hope those of you in other parts of the US can help me make that happen by freeing his day on the 19th !

Thank you all!

________

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 07:30:35 -0400
From: _________
To: "Paramendra Kumar Bhagat"
CC: ________
Subject: Re: Please be in touch with Gagan Thapa whie he visits the US

I'll record whatever audio I can here in Boston, and maybe do an interview with Gagan if he has time.

If others can record footage from other locations and send it to me, I can produce segments and post them on INSN.org and distribute to independent radio shows.

We can post some raw audio of talks and Q&A. We can also combine many sources and produce a good segment that we can distribute to some larger audience shows (Free Speech Radio Network, and The World).

_______

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 07:23:41 -0400
From: _________
To: "Paramendra Kumar Bhagat"
Subject: Re: Please be in touch with Gagan Thapa while he visits the US

Paramendra,

You're page isn't working for me, I get a 404.

_________

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 07:16:09 -0400
From: _______
To: ________
CC: ________
Subject: Re: Please be in touch with Gagan Thapa whie he visits the US

______, do you think it would be beneficial to see if Gagan can meet with Senators Kerry and Kennedy's offices when he's in Boston? If so, then perhaps either you or I could coordinate and arrange those meetings.

Also for Boston, Diwas has inquired with Shailesh whether Chhalphal Discussion Series can hold an interaction for Gagan.

Great to hear about this visit. I look forward to meeting Gagan.

______

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 09:54:23 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Paramendra Kumar Bhagat"
Subject: RE: thanks
To: _______

Am a little jittery about hitting reply all too many times. But here goes.

Gaganji. You are going to be very busy your entire time here. You might not have much time at all to spend on the phone. I think I will just wait my turn for you to show up in NYC.

I look forward to meeting you. You have inspired many of us at this end.

This regime should not see 2006. Your trip is the lull before the storm.

Encourage people to blog your tour so the rest of us can follow you as you move around. Text, audio, video.

We are all in this together. This democracy movement is like going camping or something.

Subject: RE: thanks
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 12:13:30 -0400
From: _________
To: _________

Let us share our contact information. Mine is _____. if needed we can coordinate the program. Is someone leading us? Let us make a small committee if needed.

________

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:56:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Send an Instant Message "gagan thapa"
Subject: thanks
To: _________

Dear all,

I was more than delighted this morning when I opened my mail box. All the mails I have got have raised my enthusiasm. I am excited to be there with all of you.

I tried this afternoon to know the details of my schedule. Unfortunately the staffs here couldn't provide me with that. The only thing I know is I will be staying at Club Quarters Washington, 839 17th street, New Washington, Dc 20006. And u can reach me at 202-463-6400.

As soon as I get there and provided with program details I will write to u. after then we can arrange other possible programs.

I have my hearing at special court this Thursday. I hope the court will not create any further problem.

I would like to use my time there and wish to see all of you. But I am not sure how tight the schedule is. So I think we have to wait till I get the details of my program.

Thanks once again for all your kind concerns

Gagan Thapa

Subject: RE: Lets Go, Then !!
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:04:54 -0400
From: _______
To: _______
CC: _______

________,

Human Rights activist, Krishna Pahadi will be also in USA during that time. He will be coming to Boston around 6 or 7 Oct., so it would be nice if we could also include him during October 19 program. I think we can only move ahead with planning once Gagan is here in USA and we will have his full itinerary. I have added Sanajaya Parajuli parajulis@gmail.com in the loop, and he will be our focal point in NY. He is looking for option at Columbia for a talk, and he will organize one exclusive talk program for Nepalese audience from Alliance for Human Rights and Democracy in Nepal, in the title called Bichar Bimarsha (Thoughts and Discussion).

______

1

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 07:54:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Paramendra Kumar Bhagat"
Subject: Re: camcorder + google video
To: _________
CC: _________

What about doing the camcorder and the Google Video thing? Many "private citizens" have camcorders, and Google Video is free uploading and hosting. http://video.google.com

Subject: RE: Lets Go, Then !!
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:35:11 -0400
From: __________
To: _________

I am trying to work with Emory for Gagan to talk through Asian Studies Center, following is the message I got.

Thanks Pramod. I would my faculty about this possibility but the dates conflict with 3 other programs already in place in cooperation with AID and SA4U, 2 Atlanta community organizations. Please do, continue to let us know about these posisbilities since we would like very much to organize such an event witha little more advance notice. My very best wishes to you and yours,

We are trying to work for him in Berkeley and talked for Dallas, too. He should meet Nepalese here even in the evening if he does not have time. These groups would be his asset in future to lead Nepal. So I would like him to make good contact with Nepalese too. I will inform more once I get detail from West Coast and Dallas.

_________

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:28:04 -0400
From: __________
To: __________
CC: ________
Subject: Re: Lets Go, Then !!

Hi all! Wow. One think to really look forward to! And yes, what's up the the state department and Gagan's visit? The U.S. has some serious balls!

My impression after talking to Gagan was that he would be super busy indeed. I'm sure he would have most of his week days booked at least in Washington DC. For those in Washington, please send me an email to _________ so we can 'arrange' his free time more effectively.

Mendi and I are discussing the possibility of 'officially' launching the student rights campaign while he is here. Mendi thinks we should get our profiles ready, a document (which I could put together drawing from our charts and the UN document), and a venue we could do it at my work (Institute for Policy Studies). Now we don't have time to get people to a possible event or to conduct outreach of any sort. We also don't have enough information from the ground to get student profiles ready in time--unless some sort of miracle happens. Despite that, we could have a small gathering, take some pictures and actually launch the campaign. The bigger problem is this, I'm not sure the campaign is sustainable over time Most of you said that you would be willing to stay connected with the campaign but that couldn't take a bigger responsibility, i.e. be in charge of a particular aspect of the campaign. Since we all have full time jobs or go to school, I'm afraid we might not be able to pull things together AFTER we launch the campaign. We do not have a set strategy either what are we aiming at Lobbying in Washington Working with student groups? Educating, if so, whom? Who would do what?

I'd love to get your thoughts on this.

Also, so you know, I'm trying to get Gagan to be in Washington DC, perhaps on his way back, on the 19 of October right now he is supposed to be in Texas that day but who knows what the final itinerary would be like. I'm in charge of a human rights award event though IPS that day. We are expecting 500-600 human rights activists, academics, human rights lawyers, judges, donors and funders, and at least 10 members of congress who aleady agreed to be a part of our host committee. So I can arrange for the emcee to acknowledge Gagan's presence at the event and talk about the plight of Nepali students for a few seconds. Then Gagan could meet these people and the members of congress including Senators Harkin, Boxer, and Kennedy who have done pretty impressive stuff in other conflict situations before. So it'd be a good day for Gagan to be in DC. I hope those of you in other parts of the US can help me make that happen by freeing his day on the 19th !

Thank you all!

________

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 07:30:35 -0400
From: _________
To: "Paramendra Kumar Bhagat"
CC: _________
Subject: Re: Please be in touch with Gagan Thapa whie he visits the US

I'll record whatever audio I can here in Boston, and maybe do an interview with Gagan if he has time.

If others can record footage from other locations and send it to me, I can produce segments and post them on INSN.org and distribute to independent radio shows.

We can post some raw audio of talks and Q&A. We can also combine many sources and produce a good segment that we can distribute to some larger audience shows (Free Speech Radio Network, and The World).

______

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 07:23:41 -0400
From: ____________
To: "Paramendra Kumar Bhagat"
Subject: Re: Please be in touch with Gagan Thapa while he visits the US

Paramendra,

You're page isn't working for me, I get a 404.

_____

Paramendra Kumar Bhagat wrote:
http://demrepubnepal.blogspot.com/2005/09/gagan-thapa-amerika-tour.html

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 07:16:09 -0400
From: _______
To: ________
CC: ________
Subject: Re: Please be in touch with Gagan Thapa whie he visits the US

_____, do you think it would be beneficial to see if Gagan can meet with Senators Kerry and Kennedy's offices when he's in Boston? If so, then perhaps either you or I could coordinate and arrange those meetings.

Also for Boston, _____ has inquired with ______ whether Chhalphal Discussion Series can hold an interaction for Gagan.

Great to hear about this visit. I look forward to meeting Gagan.

______

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 00:49:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: _________
Subject: Parmendra pls hold off in blogging until he leaves the KTM airport
To: _______
CC: ______

At least until he takes off from the KTM airport, I suggest you show your maturity by holding off your blogging. We never know how the authority in Nepal are going to react. May be another arrests without warrant under TADA. I think after he is off do all the blogging you can.

_________ 1




Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 21:08:41 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Paramendra Kumar Bhagat"
Subject: Trying to make sense of the Gagan trip
To: ________
CC: ________

I have read all the email as of now on the topic. The picture that I get. This is a State Deparment program, so it will be tightly planned beforehand. There will be little room for "entrepreneurship." Little windows of opportunity here and there for Gagan to hang out with local Nepalis.

But the program is to do with student activism. And Gagan will likely visit many colleges. In that case, Charlie is in a great position to spice it up, possibly in a better position than anyone on ths mailing list. Charlie presides over Students for Global Democracy with definite chapters along the west coast. Bay Area is a hotbed.

Well, what can I say Gaganji? When you are in town - NYC - and if I get to shake your hand, I am not going to wash that hand for the rest of that day!

Not being able to blog on this topic has been a hindrance. The thought being the blog entry might be of security concerns at the other end. But with this formal State Department involvement, I think that is less of a concern.

So I am going to end the moratorium, and go public with the blog entry again. If I were the royal regime, I'd be happy Gagan is gone to the US for a month! Gagan is coming for a strucutured, legitimate, open, educational kind of trip. This is no clandestine operation.

So, people, welcome back the blog entry. It will be up in a few minutes.

The idea is to create a buzz for the trip.

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:46:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Paramendra Kumar Bhagat"
Subject: Re: the gagan blog entry taken down for a few days
To: ______
CC: ______

Gagan is the most well known young Nepali democrat. He is a student leader.

If you have SGD branches in any of these listed cities, it might be a great idea to try and do some events together. Already there are Nepali democrats in each of those town working on events. But maybe there can be co-events.

I will write more fully about him at my blog after he is safely in the US. Can't do it before that, since I might jeopardize his safety before he leaves the country.

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 23:14:44 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Lets Go, Then !!
From: __________
To: __________
CC: __________

If it is the one that Nepali student leaders came on last year (which he was invited on but did not come), it concentrates on youth and student activism in America. So basically he will tour American campuses and meet student activists to see how they do activism in the states. Got to love how the Foreign Department does exchange...

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:00:22 -0700 (PDT)
From: ________
Subject: Washington DC and Duke U
To: ________
CC: _________

Hi---wow, such email excitement in the span of a few hours. Praise to technology.

Anyways, here are my two cents:

1) DC visits--Gagan are you already planning to meet with Tim Rieser? Also if you don't already have them I can get you the contact at Daschle's office, as well as some other key folks on the hill (Biden & Lugar's office, USAID, NDI, WB, etc). Are you meeting with the Nepal desk of the Dept of State? Are you in contact with Veena at HRW?

2) IF Gagan has the time to come to NC I can arrange for an event at Duke University, possibly with funding--though on such short notice I won't be able to scrounge much up---no more than $200-$300. But it sounds like this is not possible unless he extends his trip b/c the schedule is currently pretty tight. Also strategically it seems like you'll want to prioritize other areas---though we do have a significant international policy program here and we are only 4 hours from DC.

What are the key issues you'll be focusing on---your agenda and policy requests?

Seems like additional stops would work if Gagan has the time and 1-2 people coordinated all logistics at each location--Amanda at Cornell, Diwas & myself at NC, Sage in Boston, etc.

The Duke Human Rights Initiative and the Graduate Student Human Rights Working Group could probably host something here.

---______

From: ________
To: ________
Subject: RE: Lets Go, Then !!
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 03:00:20 +0000

Sorry for the mass reply but just wanted to let Kiran and others in Washington, DC know that I am more than happy to contribute time/effort to make Gagan's time in DC a valuable one. Since I'm new to the town, let me know how I can be of help.

Thanks,_____

From: ________
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:57:05 EDT
Subject: Re: Lets Go, Then !!
To: __________
CC: ________

Dinesh and Amanda,
What is the "IDP program" that Gagan is coming on?
Thanks,
_____

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 22:10:34 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Lets Go, Then !!
From: _______
To: _______
CC: ________

Dinesh,

I agree that it is great that everyone has the enthusiasm. But as far as I am aware the IDP programs are planned with a complete schedule for the participants. This means that Gagan will have little time to do things outside of the program, he will be limited to evenings and free time. This is fine for the people who a planning events in the cities that Gagan will be in (i.e. D.C., Boston, NYC, Atlanta, etc.) but they will have to be flexible around a schedule that Gagan may not know until he arrives in the states.

Gagan, do you have a detailed schedule yet? If not see if Amod can get you one and pass it on to us so that those who want arrange city specific programs can know your time frame.

For the rest of us who are off the beaten path (ie us folks at Cornell, those in Madison, etc.), Gagan needs to be willing to extend his trip and you will have to raise money for travel. Gagan, can you extend your trip? I presume they will give you a V1 visa for this trip that may be limited to a month. But you should check with Amod to see if you can rely on your B1 visa to stay longer. And more importantly, would you be willing to stay longer to do lobbying in all these places.

As far as coordination is concerned, I am swamped with a number of priorities. I can assist in arranging things up here in Cornell and I will fill in the cracks but I can't take the reigns. But since Gagan already has a set itenerary that American mission has organized, things won't be as difficult as it was for you Dinesh, where we had to take care of every bit of travel, fundraising, logistics, etc. It probably will be fine if each consecutive location worked things out with Gagan. If he decides to stay longer, we will make sure he is taken care of and take advantage of his stay to the best of our abilities. But as I mentioned, each location that is not on his IDP itenerary will have to raise the money to get him there.

Best,
_______

----- Original Message -----
From: gagan thapa
To: ______
Cc: ______
Sent: Monday, September 19, 2005 9:31 AM
Subject: I am comin on Sept 23

Dear comrades,

Finally my visit to USA has been confirmed. I have been invited by state department under international visitors program. This is basically a regional student conference. But i would like to use this visit to extend support for ongoing democratic movement. I need your suggestions and contact numbers of friends staying there.

The program schedule is

Sep 23- 30, Washington
Oct 1- Oct4, Boston
Oct5- Oct8, Atlanta
Oct9- Oct11,North Field
Oct 12- Oct 15,San Francisco
Oct 16-Oct 20, Texas
Oct 21 Oct 23, NY

Hope to meet my comrades there.

Gagan Thapa

Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 07:13:28 +0530
From: ________
To: ________
Subject: Lets Go, Then !!

Hi everybody,

Very excited to get such awesome response from you all again, within a few hours ! I guess, Gagan will now need to share the detailed schedule that he already has so that everybody knows when's the free time where events can be slotted. In my trip, without the coordination of Sage, Andrew, Mendi and Laurie, things could have easily turned into chaos. It'll be very helpful, if a group of two or three persons volunteer to undertake the overall coordination with one chief coordinator. If Amanda could do that if she's got some free time - she already knows Gagan and communication would be easier. But then, of course, there'll be others interested and very eficient too.

I forgot to include our friends from the Advocacy Project (Mendi) in the last e-mail, and also Daniela (you may already be knowing, Gagan is coming to the US for about a month from 23 Sept). Advocacy Project is intereted to help use this opportunity to launch a nepali studnet rights campaign - with posters, publicity materials, talk programs in universities, etc. Daniela would of course be interested to organize events....

Just to recap what people are intereted to do so far: (1) Pramod Aryal - will coordinate Atlanta and he's already put us in touch with Sanjay Parajuli in NY (hello Sanjay ji, have been hearng all the great stuff you're doing out there! Moby Dai, guess we've not met, but I've heard about you), and with his extensive contacts in many cities he'll be coming up with more, (2) Diwas has offered whatever help he can give, and might still help coordinate things in Boston, and where he stays now, (3) Kiran, as always, the DC master, whatever help needed (could you also e-mail around a few other guys in universities in DC and in cities where Gagan goes - I'm sure there are much more contacts), (4) Amanda and Laurie - have expressed keen interest to organize talks at Cornell (if you could also take up some coordinaation role - that'll be awesome, know you must be very busy with academics..), (5) Julia from Amnesty has offfered to put Gagan in touch with AI chapters wherever he goes and hopefully talk programs will be organized in places, (6) Mendi and Daniela will of course come up with very effective student rights campign plans, (7) many other people will be joining soon, I can already see that ! Our andolan jaari chha.. team will provide surprise materials for the tour....

Cheers !
Dinesh

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:42:46 -0500
From: _________
To: ________
Subject: Re: the gagan blog entry taken down for a few days

Paramendra,

I apologize for my lack of knowledge on Nepali Politics, but who is Gagan and why would students be interested in seeing him? If you give me that info I'll email a couple SGD people from around the country.

Best,
Charlie

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:42:29 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: Re: Please be in touch with Gagan Thapa while he visits the US
From: _________
To: _________
CC: _________

Yes, as Laurie has said, people at Cornell would be interested to take advantage of your stay in the states.

I see that you will be in NY till October 23rd. I presume NYC. If you can extend your trip then a number of people are thinking of coming up from NYC to Cornell for our Desain celebration. If you could come then we can probably arrange a forum for you to talk about student and contemporary politics for the following day (Monday, October 24th).

Let us know as soon as possible, because we may need to raise some money to bring you here.

Best,
_______

From: _______
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 16:24:13 EDT
Subject: Re: Please be in touch with Gagan Thapa whie he visits the US
To: _______
CC: _______

Dinesh, thanks for letting us know about this!

Gagan, great to hear that you are coming! We can put you in touch with various Amnesty Intl USA offices in some of the places you will visit--will email you separately re this. If you are planning to give talks, we can let AI members know when we get details. I look forward to meeting you when you come to Boston.

All best,
______
AIUSA

Subject: RE: Please be in touch with Gagan Thapa while he visits the US
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 15:27:15 -0400
From: _________
To: _________

Paramendra,

I don't know what is there for you to be so savvy with your blog. You know he is sensitive stuff, and if we just make hue and cry right now his whole plan might get disturbed. Dinesh I do differ to work with people who forget the objectives but just get carried away. Once Gagan is on air then we can do that, and it is only three days for him to move from Nepal.

I hope this will not disturb his trip. I think we need to be focused towards our objectives than just move like that.

________

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 12:11:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Paramendra Kumar Bhagat"
Subject: Hello Tracey, Hello Charlie
To: "Tracey Denton" , "Charlie Szrom"
CC: __________

You two are super busy people as is, but needed to share this.

Gagan Thapa is the most famous young Nepali democrat. He will soon be on a month long US tour. I was wondering if DFA and SGD chapters along the route might be interested in doing something with him. His public schedule is here:

http://demrepubnepal.blogspot.com/2005/09/gagan-thapa-amerika-tour.html

The earlier a request is made, greater the chances the event can be added. Or there can be joint events with the local Nepali organizers. It is all open source like Linux and grass roots.

Nepal is the Ukraine for 2005. This is to be one decisive winter. This tour is the lull before the storm.

Subject: RE: Please be in touch with Gagan Thapa whie he visits the US
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:49:28 -0400
From: ______
To: "Paramendra Kumar Bhagat"

Parmendra refrain from putting right now. His trip might get problem.

Subject: RE: Please be in touch with Gagan Thapa while he visits the US
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 14:48:55 -0400
From: ________
To: ________

I have added few more names in the group. I talked to Dr. Mabi L. Singh from Boston and requested him to arrange some program there. He is willing to do. I have had talk with Sanjaya Parajuli, one of the coordinators of Sept 16 rally and President of Alliance for Democracy and Human Rights in Nepal, USA, and he is willing to host a Talk Program, called Bichar Bimarsha, there in NY while he is there. So Cornell has to coordinate for timing with Sanjaya to make the time available in both places.

Mabi he will be there from Oct 1- Oct 4, so probably you might have to look for 2nd or 3rd. I will work for his program on 7-8 Oct here in Atlanta.

I will talk to few guys in Texas and in San Francisco, too. Let us move together.

________


Saathi haroo ho.

Maile aghi nai excited bhayera hwatta euta email pathaee haalein. This is my second, hopefully more measured response.

First of all, Gaganji, welcome, swagatam. I need to meet you to tell myself you are for real! Which genius came up with the idea of this tour?

Others, let's make the best use of this tour. It can be along the lines of the Dinesh Prasain tour. But we need to improve upon it.
  1. A 30 hours minimum rest upon landing. Key. To counter jet lag. Because the tour is bound to be physically strenuous.
  2. Let the schedule be public, and let the local Nepali democrats in each location jampack the schedule. Let's go meet local audiences in each place, Nepalis, friends of Nepal, democrats of all colors, friends and well wishers of the democratic cause in Nepal and wherever in the world. The US audiences at local colleges and universities are also key. And local Democracy For America chapters. Those two might involve me. (To: DFNYC)
  3. Organizers in each place to also arrange in-between sight-seeing for Gagan. I think that is important, something we did not handle too well with Dinesh. He teaches and informs during his talk programs. He learns during the sight-seeing. That two-way balance is key. So he has much to talk about also after he is back in Kathmandu. America's riches were derived through democracy. He needs to see for himself to get even more fierce than he already is with the democracy idea. Let the sight-seeing segments also be openly part of his public schedule. So if there are locals who want to join him for such events, they would be welcome to do so. Talk with Gagan, walk with Gagan, go sight-seeing with Gagan, eat out with Gagan, photo opportunity with Gagan.
  4. There are vibrant Nepali democrat communities and organizations in every place listed. Logistics should be a piece of cake. And this is perfect timing. The tour before the decisive winter. This regime should not see 2006.
  5. Very important to get the Gagan face in front of some key people on Capitol Hill. Should the crunch time come down the line, we want these Senators to know they already have met in person the guy they are vouching for on the Senate floor. Got to meet Leahy, the Democrat from Vermont. He might have been the first to mention the Gagan name on the US Senate floor. (Senator Leahy To US Congress On Nepal)
  6. My biggest criticism of the Dinesh Prasain tour is it was not blogged - text, audio, video - when it is so easy to do so: it is practically free. That mistake should not be repeated. We should blog the Gagan Thapa tour as it happens so we can reach the larger audience in real time. If Gagan does an event in Atlanta, I want to be able to experience it here in NYC. (Dinesh Prasain Tour: Report, Changing Gears, The Dinesh Prasain US Speaking Tour, Dinesh Prasain's Possible US Tour In April)
  7. Gaganji, please give me the honor of taking you to a few choice destinations in NYC while you are here. The sight-seeing part. By the way, it has been a pleasure getting to know your personal friend Somji.
  8. And please call me by my first name and first name alone.
23 Sep Arrival in Washington DC
Sep 23- 30, Washington
Oct 1- Oct4, Boston
Oct5- Oct8, Atlanta
Oct9- Oct11, North Field
Oct 12- Oct 15, San Francisco
Oct 16-Oct 20, Texas
Oct 21 Oct 23, NY

Video Blogging The Movement
Somnath Ghimire On Leadership Crisis In Nepali Congress
Anatomy Of The Conflict In Pokhara
Girijaspeak: When Republicans Are Royalists
5 Steps To Democracy
Renaming The Blog In Honor Of Gagan's Release

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:45:56 -0400
To: _________________
From: ____________
Subject: Re: Please be in touch with Gagan Thapa while he visits the US

Hello everyone -

Thanks for pulling this list together, Dinesh!

It's exciting news that (Gagan) you'll be here in the US! I hope that we're able to arrange many public events, as there are so many here who are interested in hearing your perspectives and experiences.

To assist with planning, I'm forwarding this schedule that Gagan had sent to others:

>This is my programme schedule:
>Sept 23- 30, Washington
>Oct 1 - Oct 4, Boston
>Oct 5 - Oct 8, Atlanta
>Oct 9 - Oct 11, North Field
>Oct 12 - Oct 15, San Francisco
>Oct 16 - Oct 20, Texas
>Oct 21- Oct 23, NY

I'd be happy to help coordinate anything that I can assist with. We'd love to have you here at Cornell, Gagan, just let us know whether or not that would work for your schedule and we can arrange travel and accommodations. Looking forward to meeting you soon and I hope that your travels are productive and comfortable!

________

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 09:11:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: _______
Subject: Re: Please be in touch with Gagan Thapa whie he visits the US
To: _________

Gagan,

It's best if we can touch base over the phone and determine your goals and needs and accordingly I can help set up your program here in DC.

_________

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 11:38:04 -0400
From: __________
To: _________

Subject: Re: Please be in touch with Gagan Thapa whie he visits the US

Dear All,

I hope you won't mind me replying to everyone in original list...

Gagan Jee - I would be more than happy to help in ways I can. I am hoping that may be you can make a trip to Raleigh-Durham (North Carolina) as well. Can we get more detail in what kind of things you will be doing when you come over ? Will you be giving speeches, talk programs, etc. etc..

Looking forward to seeing you in the next couple of weeks,

______

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 20:48:31 +0530
From: "Dinesh Prasain"

To: ________
Subject: Please be in touch with Gagan Thapa whie he visits the US
CC: "gagan thapa"

Hi ________, ________, ________, ________, ________, ________, ________, ________, ________, ________, ________,

Gagan Thapa is goin to be in the US for about a month. Please see below for his tentative schedule. I guess most of you already know Gagan, but briefly he's a student leader, jailed several times and specially targetted by the royal regime. If you guys could help organize talk progarms or individual meetings for him, like you helped me, it would be just awesome. For details, you could directly mail Gagan at thapa_republican@yahoo.com, or we could even reply all if necessary. What do you all think ?

Best regards,
Dinesh

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: gagan thapa

Date: Sep 19, 2005 8:19 PM
Subject: namastee
To: dineshprasain@gmail.com

dear Dinesh dai,

my visit has been confirmed today, I will reach washington on 23 Sep and my program schedule is,

Sep 23- 30, Washington
Oct 1- Oct4, Boston
Oct5- Oct8, Atlanta
Oct9- Oct11,North Field
Oct 12- Oct 15,San Francisco
Oct 16-Oct 20, Texas
Oct 21 Oct 23, NY

What do u suggest??
gagan
1

No comments: