Monday, September 12, 2005

Bharat Mohan Adhikari Is In Town










86 Photos

I met him. I guess I get to take him around town on the 15th. And of course for the rally on the 16th. Then he is off to his daughter and son-in-law in St. Paul the day after.

I met up with him in his hotel room near Penn Station. Then I went off to an Alliance talk program in Jackson Heights. Then a bunch of us came back to Adhikari's hotel room. He is the most prominent democrat to have come this way since 2/1.

I also learned Sharad Chandra Shaha, Lokendra Bahadur Chand, and Taranath Rana Bhat are all staying at the same hotel. I am going to make an effort to go meet all of them. I am particularly eager to go meet Shaha. I was at high school during the 1990 movement and I have been in the US since 1996. Nepal's past does not mean the same to me that it might mean to people who have been there for decades. For me it is the idea of making peace and I find it intellectually fascinating. I am going to make one last ditch effort to hammer the monarchists through Shaha: Proposed Constitution. If I have had the patience with the Maoists, I should have some also for the Monarchists. But I intend to speak from a position of strength. There is always Plan B.

I wanted to comment on Adhikari's expansive analysis on Nepali politics, but I guess I will interview him formally later on. And as for the talk program, I will add a link to the audio clip itself once Anil and Sarahana have put it online.

And, yes, the samosa was great.

In The News

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.