Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Lifting Emergency: Was It A Major Step?


The political parties have called it an "eyewash," but I disagree. My big fear was the Monarchists might try to scrap the constitution and start afresh. But the lift shows the king might be stretching a few articles of the constitution but he is at least trying to adhere to it. That is good news.

So, yes, I think it was a major step. Not enough, but big enough. The fundamental rights have not been restored, political prisoners have not been released. But things would have been worse had the emergency not been lifted.

Plus, I don't think the king thought he could deceive anyone, least of all the international community on the issue for it to have been an eyewash. I think he is trying to send a signal. As in, here is a major positive step from my side, now your turn to reciprocate. I don't think he ever thought the lift will fool the foreign powers into thinking democracy is back.

I understand the political parties are the ones who are having to bear the brunt of 2/1. So I understand their impatience. But it might not be such a good idea to be totally dismissive. Instead, perhaps the lift was a positive step in the right direction, but the king has still a few major steps to take.

The three "horses" continue to pull in three different directions.

In The News

No comments: