Sunday, October 02, 2005

Anil Jha, Bimal Nidhi US Tour Logistics



A Question For Mahara
Bimalendra Nidhi US Tour
Gagan Thapa US Tour

Anilji, Bimalji.

Both of you have written to me about your visits. I think you are going to have a wonderful time in the US. It's a great country. See democracy in action.

First thing, the State Department will keep you on a very tight schedule. And they are professionals: you will be taken care of very well.

Second, so far you should stick to it.

As for your subsequent tour, I have not received enough details from either you or from the ANTA (Association of Nepali Teraian in America) contacts to say something concrete for now. Usually if you show up in a big city, hopefully there is someone who will host you, take care of the fooding and lodging part. Especially true of NYC.

Personally I can only look into New York City for sure. And that too by tapping the ANTA network. My place is too small for hosting and I maintain crazy work hours, thanks to Nepal! But I can find some Madhesi families who might be interested if I tried, which I will be happy to.

How will you move between the cities? There is a Chinatown bus from DC to Boston and places in between that is really cheap. That transportation part you might have to take care of on your own.

Whatever happens, we need better communication to chalk out the details.

Anil Jha, October 13-26 Boston, DC

Bimal Nidhi
13 oct. --- Departure from KTM to Boston.
20 oct --- Boston to Washington
24 oct ---Washington to Atlanta
From 26 oct we are free to roam arround at our own.

Sage is in Boston.
Kiran Sitoula is in DC.
Pramod Aryal is in Atlanta.
Rajesh Gupta is in Augusta, Georgia.

Lalitji, Ratanji. What are the ANTA contacts in Boston, DC and Atlanta?

It would be best to make use of the contacts in cities where you surely will be. If additional programs are to be organized locally.

How long do you have after the 26th? When do you fly back to Nepal? From where? Boston? DC? Atlanta?

I am not sure I understand the "free to go wherever" part. Is this the State Department way of saying go join the American economy!

If they are also responsible to fly you back to Kathmandu, they must be wanting to keep track of you during that "free" part. Maybe they have plans to take you for some sight-seeing after that. And if they are saying, here, you have one week to go around on your own, and then come to this airport to fly back, I'd think they will give you an allowance for travel and other expenses.

Ask them, the State Department folks in Kathmandu. Culturally we are prone to tap into our personal networks whereas the State Department has a professional approach to the whole thing. I understand that. It is okay.

Short answer: I don't have enough details at hand, but if you show up in New York City, I'd love to see you. And if you want me to try and do more, let me know the specifics.

Happy Landing. Gagan is having a great time, I hear.

Gagan Thapa on Radio Dovaan, DC

No comments: